Monday, January 25, 2010

You're Fired

The theory that founders usually get fired as the company finds a scalable model and product it in the market has come up quite a few times in conversation.

I've been asked before whether I worry about this day coming.  I say I worry about this day not coming.  When it does, it means my baby has found a sustainable, repeatable, profitable model that will grow into a large company.  Beyond the startup phase, beyond the early revenue phase, to a growth and expansionary phase. 

I can't predict the future and foresee whether my board at that time will replace me or not, but if we can agree that someone with a different skill set more suitable for managing the company in its new phase, then I don't want to stand in the way of my company's opportunities. 

Anyway, I still believe that the whole "firing the founder" theory is...a theory.  We will see what happens when the day comes for the board to evaluate whether I'm still suitable to keep running the company - my goal now is to improve myself for the better everyday, so that when this day comes, I will be prepared :)

In the meantime, let's keep working and get to that point.

No comments: