Tuesday, April 21, 2009

REALLY? I CAN'T Withdraw Money from Here?

SO. Earlier today I was at XXX bank. I have an account there and I needed to withdraw some money to pay a contractor.

I figured I live close to a certain branch so I pop in with my bank card. Eventually I get to the counter and they swipe my card, ask for my ID and then ask me whether the account was with that branch.

ME: "No - I'm actually with another branch."

Teller: "OH - then we can't give you money."

ME: (inner voice.) "I HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH YOUR BANK. MY ID IS HERE. I AM HERE. WHAT OTHER VERIFICATION DO YOU NEED?! YOU LITERALLY CAN'T GIVE ME MONEY?"

(At this time I'm also thinking about all the other things on my agenda, which is why my inner voice was of the screaming type.)

ME: "Oh. But I have my bank card here and I did tell my contact at the other branch that I want to be able to withdraw money here too...?"

Teller: "You need to go to your branch, talk to your manager and tell him/her to send us a contract...THEN you can withdraw money here."

At this point I was already beyond furious. Somebody who knows the banking system extremely well PLEASE enlighten me as to why they can't give me money? Lack of reserves? The fact that I might be trying to fake my identity? (Equipped with my driver's license, bank card and also walking into the branch...I don't think that would be the case...)

ME: "That's fine. Could I withdraw that amount from my ATM though?"

Teller: "Let me double check."

ME: (inner voice) "Really....you don't know that I could do anything I want at that ATM do you...wow."

Teller: "Yeah you can."

I come home and ask my mom if the same situation would be found in Hong Kong. Of course the answer is NO - banks elsewhere allow you to withdraw money from ANY branch.

Well. I've spent too much time typing about this, it has already wasted an hour of my time getting the money deposited (eventually walking a check over to another bank and waited in line to deposit there).

I feel so unproductive today. Time to play catch up.

1 comment:

Dobes said...

Nice colors!

I've never heard of a bank that only lets you do stuff at your home branch - I've personally gone to other branches for CIBC, RBC, and Coast Capital. So ... change banks! Coast Capital has good service and a low (or no) fees.

And don't be afraid to say who your shoddy bank is in your blog ... that's the whole point of this Web 2.0 thing is that you get to complain publically about people that suck and thus force them to clean up their act.