Tuesday, December 9, 2008

GREAT Tech Teams are Hard to Find

What constitutes a GREAT tech team? From the perspective of someone looking to hire a tech team to take on our system development, the team must have the following 3 traits:

1) Work Ethics

2) Professionalism (meets deadlines, works collaboratively with clients to develop system requirements)


3) Open Communication

Notice that all of the above did not refer to the level of technical skill of the team - I think it's because from shopping around for a tech team it appears that everybody says they can program all these things that you ask them to. So if the programming is "almost" a commodity, what other factors are going to make a team stand out?

I found that I am especially eager to work with a team that displays honesty, a high standard of work ethics and professionalism - most importantly, they let me know what they CAN and CAN'T realistically do within the set timeline. A lot of other developers that I have met with have over promised and of course this means further contracts down the road are out of question.

Here's a tip to those tech teams out there trying to win contracts...businesses are looking for teams that make them feel prioritized, considers the business team's contributions (you may know the best way to build a system, but we know best in terms of what the system needs in order for us to profit off this thing you're building for us), and delivers on time or at least shows a best efforts to meet the set milestones.

I believe that good people cluster and I have always worked off this theory. This is how I found my current contractors, employees and advisors. I know there are tons of other great people out there but until I know them on a personal basis I am hesitant about bringing somebody onto the team. It's really true that people like to do business with people they know...not what you know, but who you know.

No comments: